Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Jacob's Ladder" 1957 by Helen Frankenthaler



http://www.artnet.com/artists/helen-frankenthaler/
Anne here,
I am taking you on a mini blog visit of the Museum of Modern Art in nyc. Did you know you could take non-flash photography in there? I took  pictures of my favorite paintings when I was there last and I always look at them for inspiration and thought you might too. Here are some quotes from HF;
-"I don't start with a color order, but find the colors as I go."
-"I'd rather risk an ugly surprise than rely on things I know I can do."
-"I had the landscape in my arms as I painted it. "
-"I had the landscape in my mind and shoulder and wrist. Every canvas is a journey all its own."
-"I've explored a variety of directions and themes over the years. But I think in my painting you can see the signature of one artist, the work of one wrist."
-"To sustain conviction is often a struggle. No one enjoys being alone."

Well Done, Helen Frankenthaler. Thanks for being one of the few women tough enough to stay on the art scene in the fifties.
Click on the post title for more info about HF and watch an excellent video about her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsoaxUcwp3s

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

what an amazing painting. can I buy it?