Monday, October 14, 2013

My (almost) open letter to Miley

I started writing a letter to Miley today... it was time. I've been thinking about her. Also I was thinking, "Maybe this will be the post that gets 1 million hits!" Wait, I'm no better than the music industry pigs--I too want to use Miley for my own selfish needs. So I put it to rest. Then, later in the day,  I read what Gloria Steinem had to say on the matter and I knew that Glo, in her wisdom, deserved the final word on our blog.

I don't think Miley's VMA performance was a feminist set-back. "I wish we didn't have to be nude to be noticed...But given the game as it exists, women make decisions. For instance, the Miss America contest is, in all of its states...the single greatest source of scholarship money for women in the United States. If a contest based on only appearance was the single greatest source of scholarship money for men, we would be saying, "This is why China wins." You know? It's ridiculous. But that's the way the culture is. I think that we need to change the culture, not blame the people that are playing the only game that exists."

We need to stop blaming Miley and change the culture. Thanks Gloria.




2 comments:

Anne said...

i hate the game. can't we just stop playing it and make our own game?

Table Talk said...

exactly...change the culture and change the game.