Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Wonderings on Hope and Magic.

I have been thinking about whether I need a theme for each week on the blog... Rebecca likes the themes and her themes rock. She is able to find a theme and really focus on it for her weeks... (If you didn't notice, her and I rotate weeks)... I thought I could do a theme each week, but it turns out that inspiration in my world comes from so many different sources. I am trying to honestly, on my weeks, to  sit down at the computer and think about what is lighting that little spark in my heart that proves that wonder and magic and beauty exist in the world around me. I think the contrast between Rebecca's weeks and mine  is a good thing.
 Our original inspiration for this blog was to have an antidote to the worlds news. Right now, the world news is truly breaking my heart. Can the human heart/spirit even withstand the sadness, in whole, that is being felt right now in Haiti ?  Are we even meant to deal with sadness on such a large scale? If you think about it,  it wasn't until newspapers and tv were invented that we could even know/see the suffering far away from us.  I would venture to say that immense grief and sadness were meant to be dealt with in small bits by the human heart. When felt on a large scale, I think we start to feel helpless, guilty for our own happiness, small etc... What is the antidote to these feelings? What do we do? Send $50? It seems so inadequate.  A friend texted me the other day. "Let's adopt Haitian babies".  Is this the antidote?
I can't help but think that the antidote is to simply put kindness out into the world so that it travels around the world from person to person and maybe, finally, it will reach a little baby in Haiti in the form of a warm blanket, or a cup of water . That seed of kindness will then plant itself into that babies little heart so that her life grows beautifully from that seed in substitution of her mothers love. On a larger scale,  with so much love being sent to Haiti right now, the only outcome then is a new community growing from the seeds of human kindness.
This is where the spark of wonder and magic lie for me right now. This hope.
- Anne

1 comment:

Don said...

This is so sad but- $50 is not inadequate. It all helps.